About Me

My photo
Bhutan
An amateurish blogger from Samdrup Jongkhar, Bhutan.

Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Essay I was examined on

Mr. Pema Wangdi, final year undergraduate of the Bachelors Degree majoring in Applied Mathematics at Florida Institute of Technology, Melbourne, Florida, has reproduced my essay, I have written as a  11th grader in Annual Examination English Paper One, in his blog “Lotus’s Perspective- My Life Away From Home” which can be accessed at http://empoweredlotus.blogspot.com.

 It feels great to revisit the paper I was examined on. I was wondering if Mr. Pema could tell me how he could manage to get the paper, annual exam answer sheets, which were usually never shown to anyone. For this, he has his answer vividly scripted in facebook. I quote
“@Gyalpo: Yes, you had definitely written this essay, unless there was another Gyalpo Drukpa studying at Nangkor in that year, which we know was not the case. haha. Well, let me narrate the story here about how I bumped into your "English Answer Paper" while I was roaming around the Nangkor campus. It so happened that when I, with few friends, walking along the road running parallel to Yurungpa lam (path), I am sure you will remember there used to be a garbage pit right behind the Staff room, it was in that pit that I bumped into your paper. I thought I was on time to rescue your paper, when almost half of other fellows’ papers were lying charred! The marks you obtained stood out from rest of the papers, and caught my attention. Then I went on to read, and decided to include in my collection!” I would like to sincerely thank Mr. Pema who happened to be my junior for including it in his collection.

Amidst so many grammatical errors, when I read it now, I find I was trying to exude every bit of ‘negativities’ I could ‘prey’ on the parents and teachers. I might not have nurtured ill-thoughts toward teachers nor parents while I was essaying it, simply, I might have tried to justify the topic I was given to essay on. However, somehow when I read it now, I find I was revolutionarily toned and ‘been vocal’ in that essay.
I am reproducing it below. No proof reading is done and no edition is carried out to make it sound better. I am reproducing it just the way I had written it as a class 11 student then in 2004.

The Topic was:

“Parents and teachers teach children to always speak the truth. Not only is this unrealistic, it is also hypocritical.”

And I had written:
“Yes, indeed! Yes. To advice and instigate others to speak the truth has become almost like fashion. It is very unrealistic and to great extent hypocritical. In order to make other's mind bow, first and foremost thing, ones mind should be arrow. Before telling others, one should be perfect. But parents and teachers instigate students and children to speak the truth verbally. They, themselves are not perfect in this case. Our parents and our teachers teach the fatherhood of God without themselves acting the brotherhood of man.

Most of the parents of this advanced world are known evil. They are much more undignified and bounded by low personality. They are the one who spoke false before the society. They might have done many unwholesome deeds but how pathetic is it to find that, having themselves spoiled, they advise children to always speak the truth? Children has been staying with his/her parents by birth itself and thus he is bound to copy what his/her parents are doing. If parents are morally disciplined, the child would be as so. But if parents are morally ruined, it is definite and sure that child will be ruined similarly. A very pretty lie may be told by parents before his/her children. Suppose, if children wanted and demanded their parents to bring them a new trouser when they were leaving to somewhere, but on returning, he may convince his children that he has forgotten but not brought intentionally. Thus, children are the best copiers and they would copy it and next time the children will practice it. He or she will inherit the character of parents.

Similarly, teachers in the school are the parents of children. Taking the responsibilities of parents, they always advices students to tell the truth and even penalize them for having told lies. This is really hypocrisy. Teachers seem dignified in the school premises, but outside they are acting like barbarians. They tell the lie if it is needed and acts in violent manner if it is needed. Teachers are the lender of last resort of students, thus, if having themselves undisciplined, how can his students listen to them? First thing, he should act what he says. Teacher should be an epitome to students and children so that they may act and shape their future.

For instance, some teachers take leave from school leaving his students in vain, intentionally pretending that there are some genuine reasons after feeling bored in teaching. But in fact, they are just going for loitering somewhere else like an undignified man. Also in some cases, teachers are found lying and boasting in the subject matters. They act as if they know all neglecting to research further. Thus, they misguides and mishandles the human brain. Some teachers wait for bribe from students for some matters. They take partiality to some students. They themselves saying that to take partial is sin, yet they themselves are involving in unwholesome deeds.
Thus, parents and teachers of modern world may say anything from mouth. It is very easy to say than to be done. They convinces children and students to say this and that but it is just paradox. Hence, the instigation of parents and teachers to speak truth is not only unrealistic but hypocritical to great deal. Coincidence in words and actions may be found in rare cases but majority of the cases are paradoxical and hypocritical.” Courtesy Pema Wangdi [http://empoweredlotus.blogspot.com]

If you [readers] were my English Teacher at that point of time, what is the mark the essay is worth of? Locate the grammatical errors in it and leave the corrections and mark you might have given as a comment below.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you Mr. Gyalpo for acknowleding me! It does make me feel so good to see me being acknowledged for something which I had not really earned ( or deserved?)! LOL. It just shows how I had looked upon you and your paper as something which I could learn from and rely on. In short, I have been a fan of your write ups, and english skills. So keep writing, and you paper will not land in vain! It could even return from a near death in a garbage pit into (who knows?) some bestseller books? haha

    Cheers
    Pema

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha...that is too much Mr. Pema..I am blushing..seriously...flattered terribly..lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mr. Gyalpo,

    It was pleasure for me to go through ur blog and indeed its great that i got a chance to go through this essay that you says there is a mistake. Yha! ofcourse there will be mistake in a perfect correction by profesional but from my view, i could say... my Hats off for your work man.... keep it up and keep on posting such things that could be used as refernce notes for our youngers following us.... as we lead them if they wana follow us.
    i too take pardon for my gramatical excuses here since most of the words are modern spoken english(short cut-hahaha).

    Phub Yezer Dorji

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks alot Mr. Phub Yezer Dorji. Your comment is indeed a motivating note for me. Such comment like yours help me keep going with my blog..thanks again

    ReplyDelete